Band thickness | The Slingshot Community Forum

Band thickness

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Nigel, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Hi
    I've been shooting 7mm bb using skul band. Bsb 174mm active band length. 19mm - - 14mm cut, Using 0.55 mm.. Could this be over the top. What's the thinest band of the skull could I get away with. To keep speed and longevity of said band. Any point in going to 0.5m to get lower draw.? Thanks

2. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

No.
    The difference in thickness is minimal.
    I suspect you can get the same effect by reducing the width of your taper 10 percent. E.G.: Old cut 20mm to 12mm - new cut 18mm - 11mm.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. wobblywill

wobblywill Well-Known Member

Exactly what kawkan said reduce your taper i've tried the really thin flats .45 and they just don't last .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  4. Nasohi

Nasohi New Member

Id cut that band 18-10, that sounds like a fast setup. 19-14 would be a good target setup with .50 or.45

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

5. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Thank you very much.

6. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Have been playing around with 0.5, 0.6 and 0.7mm of the same brand of rubber. 0.5mm for the ~1gm clay ammo. 0.7mm for the 3/8" steel. Various tapers. Too many variables. I've confused myself. Purchased bulk roll of 0.6mm. One thickness, identical Warrior Apache pouches, same % elongation and now experimenting different tapers. 0.5mm seem to fail the quickest. Always at the pouch end. Especially for the real thin taper. So done with 0.5mm after I use up the last of the stock. Guessing 0.6mm will be my "universal", one thickness does it all for 1/4-3/8" steel and 9mm clay. Will start wide and taper down by 10% to the sweet spot. Just target shooting. Hope for is relatively good durability and enough velocity to throw the ammo flat and fast. Outdoor ranges are 10 & 12 meters. Future indoors basement winter range will be short at 6-7 meters (small house). Might be able to hit 2cm target more than the pure lucky shot:).

7. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Just realized I have an excuse to purchase another slingshot. Side by side band taper comparison. Own the OculusAxiom, Scout XT and Hammer with LT fork. Scout XT is my favorite. Fits my hand the best. More accurate v. the others. Time for another XT!