Been working on some new, smaller compact frames. Originally, I had designed this frame for the Rotating Tip sling I made a couple of days ago, but the shape was so cool that I wanted to make one just for OTT shooting. I shortened the tips by a 1/4" so they are really close to the fingers for a nice stout frame.
Last summer I cut down an apple tree and saved as much good wood as I could (nice...say that 5 times fast) and recently I sliced a 12" log into 3/8" boards. Then I paired the book matched pairs up. Cut them into roughly 4x6 blanks that could be ready to be glued up to a core.
This one was sandwiching a very thin, 1/8" maple core. I knew I had something special when I shaped the blank out.
Sanded to 800, soaked in BLO for 15 mins, then beeswax. The grain is so cooooooool!