Anybody use an uncommon size ammo ? | The Slingshot Community Forum

Anybody use an uncommon size ammo ?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Snydes, Sep 18, 2021.

By Snydes on Sep 18, 2021 at 10:52 AM
  1. Snydes

Snydes Member

From my background in competitive pistol shooting, I tend to gravitate to target shooting with the slingshots. I've tried all the ammo sizes - 5/16" ammo is hard for me to get a consistent release. 3/8" is easier to release, but I get more drop at 10m than I like unless I go with too much band tension. So, after a couple months of shooting the size directly in the middle between 5/16" & 3/8" (which is 11/32"), everything is working out much better with my setup. I'm not seeing the frustrating low shots due to ammo drop and the release is fine. So, I would say using 11/32" balls is a bit uncommon (I have to hunt for them online) ... anybody else use any ammo outside of the more common sizes ?

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Snydes, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot Active Member

I use 9mm steel, it isn't something everyone uses

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

2. cromag

cromag Well-Known Member

.4" marbles are great ammo. Just a little lighter than 3/8 steel and a bit larger for good grasp on the pouch. They rip and they're very visible. A bit hard to find but if you search up 11mm marbles for topping off beer it will get you close. I think I bought a 1000 earlier this year for about $20 but can't find out where. Found it
      Lot of 1000 quantity, 0.4" solid glass marbles. Perfect for sling shot ammo. ebay

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    3. Snydes

Snydes Member

Thanks For posting that - I just ordered those .4 inch marbles on eBay - anxious to try them ! Do you find it’s hard to see them in flight because they’re clear ?

4. cromag

cromag Well-Known Member

They stand out like a laser most of the time. I shoot them with the same bands I use for 5/16 and get a really zippy shot and no resulting handslap. 3/8 strength bands might slap you a bit.
      I think you gonna like em.

5. Snydes

Snydes Member

Great - thx !! Report to follow

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    6. Snydes

Snydes Member

I got the .40 cal glass marbles & so far liking them. they're noticeably bigger than 3/8", but like you said, shoot about like 5/16" steel. Nice change of pace - shoot nice and flat. Only downside is can't pick up the ones that jump out of my catchbox with a magnet ... thx for telling us about these:tu:

7. cromag

cromag Well-Known Member

I sort of covet the ones I have left;).
      I shoot steel cans a lot and have a fair number of rebounds out of the catch box as well. The nice thing is that when the Sun comes from a different angle they're easy to spot. Someone here or on the other site recommended them to me quite a while back and they became my favorite plinker round until the bag started getting low. There's an ammo order in my future.