Sticky - Ammo Weight and Energy Charts | Page 3 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Sticky Ammo Weight and Energy Charts

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Ted, Jul 14, 2014.

By Ted on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM
  1. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

To help sort out the various kinds of ammo, I made the following chart that compares the weight and number of balls per pound of different kinds of ammo. It shows for example that for .40 cal lead, the closest steel ball is 7/16", and the closest clay ball is 18mm (depending on the density of clay, which varies widely).

Ammo weight chart v8.png

The numbers for hex nuts (and probably most of these kinds of ammo) are approximate - I'm not sure how standardized they are across all manufacturers. Densities are mostly taken from this source:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-solids-d_1265.html

Edit: @Clever Moniker kindly gave me permission to copy the companion ammo energy chart here, for ease of reference.

Ammo energy chart v2.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 12
    • Informative Informative x 11

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Ted, Jul 14, 2014.

1. sidecar_

sidecar_ New Member

This is great thank you.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    2. JeffH

JeffH New Member

Thank you very much for the charts.

3. Sharker

Sharker Well-Known Member

Thank you, its valuable information :)

4. melman

melman New Member

Thanks. Quite helpful....always fun to get into the details

5. coyote-1

coyote-1 New Member

Love this info. Thanks for putting in the work.
      Based on it and my preference for heavy lead ammo, an ounce or more, I think I'm going to do this for my new wristrocket:
      A) Theratube black, 10" from fork tip to pouch
      B) 3/16" wide strip, 10" long, of TBG inserted into the tubes, doubled and knotted, so that it goes three inches from the fork tip to the knot inside the tube when relaxed. This should provide a pseudo-taper while still being flexible enough to not impede the band's movement, and thereby ramp up the energy a bit. The folded-over and knotted TBG should allow me to use a looped string to pull the band into the tube, and then easily remove the string by letting go the loop and pulling.

If anyone sees any flaws in that plan, please let me know :)

6. Tex-shooter

Tex-shooter Well-Known Member

I have known for many years that you have to shoot a 3/8 inch steel ball about 100 FPS faster than a 1/2 inch steel ball to achieve the same foot pounds of energy. I can easily shoot a 1/2 inch steel ball at 180 FPS, but it is much harder to shoot a 3/8 steel ball at 280 FPS. That is why I settled on 1/2 inch steel balls for target practice and 44 cal. lead (same weight and trajectory at hunting distances) for hunting many years ago. The other benefits of shooting 1/2 inch steel for target practice is longer band life and tee shirt life in the catch box! By the way with practice, with 1/2 inch steel you can visualize the trajectory before shooting! Instinctive shooters like Ruffus Hussy, Ivan Glen, and White (never knew his first name) learned to do this with rocks of different weights and for that reason they were good hunters. When I was young, the best bow hunter that I ever knew was a instinctive shooter and did not shoot target worth a flip!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    7. nsfc

nsfc Member

Thank you, this is very thoughtful, and helpful. You did a great job this is very comprehensive.