Sticky - Ammo Weight and Energy Charts | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Sticky Ammo Weight and Energy Charts

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Ted, Jul 14, 2014.

By Ted on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM
  1. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

To help sort out the various kinds of ammo, I made the following chart that compares the weight and number of balls per pound of different kinds of ammo. It shows for example that for .40 cal lead, the closest steel ball is 7/16", and the closest clay ball is 18mm (depending on the density of clay, which varies widely).

Ammo weight chart v8.png

The numbers for hex nuts (and probably most of these kinds of ammo) are approximate - I'm not sure how standardized they are across all manufacturers. Densities are mostly taken from this source:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-solids-d_1265.html

Edit: @Clever Moniker kindly gave me permission to copy the companion ammo energy chart here, for ease of reference.

Ammo energy chart v2.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 12
    • Informative Informative x 11

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Ted, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Thistle

Thistle Guest

Different subject.

At some point, we may also need to think about putting together a chart for bands and tubes.

I know that there are some comparison charts already out there, which includes Dankung tubes and Theraband. Not certain, but I don't think these charts have been updated for a couple of years to include Hygenic Corp. latex sheets and dipped tubes.

There are also other products some of us are exploring and very much liking -- like Gold's Gym and Kent Elastomer Surgical Tubing. And I'm wondering if comparison measurements of elastics like Daisy PowerLine, Trumark, and Saunders would be helpful as well. Linatex may be gaining a following as well.

For example: Is Daisy PowerLine comparable to Dankung 5080. I took a measurement of DPL tubes. Inner/Outer Diameter appears to be the same - 5.0mm id & 8.0mm od.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    2. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

I like this idea. It would take someone with a chrony. Test at say 4.5 vs. 5.0 stretch ratio, for a set of different draw lengths (28", 30", 32", etc.), for the different elastics, including single and double. It's a lot of testing.

3. Thistle

Thistle Guest

I agree. We can go simple, beginning with basic elastic info. Build upon that with elongation data. I need to find some of my links.

I know someone, with a new chrony, who may be willing to help. He's vacationing. I'll ask him about this first. I'm willing to send him whatever materials he needs to conduct chrony tests. I don't have a chrony, and everyone knows I can't be trusted with numbers.

4. flicks

flicks Active Member

Very nice idea! I agree to go simple at first. Maybe a set of measures with a given ammo size and different tapering or stretching ratios.
      @Thistle - I've heard the guy with the chrony is back from vacation.... ;)

5. Thistle

Thistle Guest

Verrry cute, Flicksie. Welcome back! [​IMG]

I’m sorting through Ted’s loooong list of super ideas right now — as we speak.

@Ted , I think you maybe work for NASA??? [​IMG]

A Rocket Scientist, Comedian, and a super mathematically-challenged girl… Oh yeah! We’re gonna make a great team.

Definitely start simple. We can begin to make a list of what we want. Dankung, Theraband, and Hygenic Corp elastics for sure. All of the flats and tubes that are most currently popular with SS enthusiasts gets priority.

[​IMG] Absolutely, Ted! I think starting a new 'input collection' thread is an excellent idea. Anytime you are ready to start that, let's go.

Canadians-- @Metropolicity @Clever Moniker, and our German members are perhaps using some products similar to our Gold’s Gym. We will want to include those elastics, that they are having good success with as well. We can really have some fun with this and provide some very helpful reference data at the same time.

It sounds like our @flicks is perhaps ready to get started on that shiny NEW Chrony of his. I think he already has TBG and Hygenic Natural Latex .030 and .040. I might need to mail some tubes. I'll ask.

We’ll leave all of the fancy pie charts and theory of relativity diagrams up to you, NASA Ted. [​IMG]

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    6. Metropolicity

Metropolicity Veteran Member Vendor

I haven't seen any Gold's Gym bands available here, however, I have seen and have some Bally Total Fitness Yoga bands which are great. They come in a pack for about $8 for a light, medium and heavy pull. They are comparable to Theraband.

I don't have a chrony or any weight measuring devices, I usually just go with what feels right.

7. Thistle

Thistle Guest

Great, @Metropolicity . We will want to include those in the comparison tests along with Gold's Gym fitness bands for Ted's charts. I think they are VERY similar (or the same) in quality to our Gold's Gym. I don't know, they may even be made by the same manufacturer. GG is very good IMO and comparable to Theraband. I actually like them better than TBG.

We'll wait for @Ted to start a new topic thread, then start discussing how we want to proceed. @flicks ' new chrony is gonna be VERY busy. :eek:

8. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

@Thistle - no, I don't work for NASA, but I did visit them once! :) For those who are wondering, I was thinking that this Elastics Chart should answer the question, "If I want to shoot targets, with this particular type of ammo, what elastic is best for my draw length, and how should I use it?", as well as a similar question for "If I want to hunt...". I had suggested to Thistle that the number of tests could be very large. For more, please see the thread "Elastics Chart Suggestions".

• Genius Genius x 1
    9. Montie Gear

Montie Gear New Member

Sounds like a project we should turn loose an intern on.

We used a chronometer to develop the data in the table we created.

10. Stephen "BloodShot"

Stephen "BloodShot" New Member Vendor

Great info, I saw a post on a Facebook group asking how many rounds could you make from a given weight of lead, this answers all those types of question.

11. Toddy

Toddy Veteran Member

Just to add in a few different Lead ball sizes and weights....
      .310 = 45 grains
      .315 = 47 grains
      .321 = 50 grains
      .350 = 65 grains
      .360 = 71 grains
      .375 = 80 grains
      .395 = 92 grains
      .400 = 96 grains
      .433 = 122 grains
      .437 = 127 grains
      .440 = 128 grains
      .443 = 131 grains
      .445 = 133 grains
      .451 = 138 grains
      .454 = 141 grains
      .457 = 144 grains
      .490 = 177 grains
      .498 = 180 grains
      .520 = 212 grains
      .530 = 224 grains
      .535 = 231 grains
      .543 = 241 grains
      .550 = 251 grains
      .560 = 260 grains
      .562 = 276 grains
      .570 = 279 grains
      .575 = 286 grains
      .595 = 317 grains
      .600 = 325 grains
      .610 = 342 grains
      .648 = 410 grains
      .662 = 437 grains
      .678 = 469 grains
      .680 = 473 grains
      .690 = 495 grains
      .715 = 550 grains
      .730 = 586 grains
      .735 = 598 grains
      .760 = 661 grains
      .775 = 700 grains
      .835 = 875 grains
      .919 = 1167 grains
      1.052 = 1750 grains

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    12. studer

studer New Member

My middle aged eyeballs betray me. Is there a larger version of these charts, please? Awesome info, regardless, thanks for making them.

13. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

Does the attached Excel file work for you? I added some steel and lead ammo sizes and removed some of the clay sizes.

Attached Files:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    14. studer

studer New Member

Very much, so! Thank you very much, Ted.

15. Sling princess

Sling princess New Member

This is great. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. AAH

AAH New Member

Great chart thx so much for putting this together!

17. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

The chart appears to be missing steel pinballs. Brünhilde would be most disappointed since that is all she shoots. Anything less than 80 grams does not dare to enter her presence. :D

18. TPINAZ

TPINAZ Veteran Member

I just came across this and downloaded. Thank you as well !!

19. Ducati250Single

Ducati250Single Member

Thank you for this information very much appreciated.

20. TPINAZ

TPINAZ Veteran Member

nice addition