A+ Lever Bow? | The Slingshot Community Forum

A+ Lever Bow?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Clever Moniker, Aug 1, 2014.

By Clever Moniker on Aug 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM
  1. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have to tell you guys... I'm pretty intrigued by the lever bow by @A+ Slingshots.

Has anyone ever tried one before??

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Clever Moniker, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Thistle

Thistle Guest

Nope, I have not tried it, but my interest is triggered as well. Fascinating piece of equipment!

2. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this slingbow. But think A+ Slingshot's idea of using a supporting string is brilliant because the string converts the stress of a slingshot on the wrist, to the stress of a bow on the arm, enabling the shooter to use elastics with a much greater draw weight without using a tight-fitting wrist lanyard or an arm brace to prevent the hand from shaking.

Using the supporting string would work on a regular slingshot held sideways, as long as the handle is long enough. In the picture below, the slingshot is 6" long. This slingshot is not finished yet, so I haven't attached elastics or drilled the lanyard hole yet, but to see how it could work, I tied a string onto a rubber band about where the lanyard hole would be. Using an anchor point near my ear, the string just clears my arm. I expect this string setup would enable me to pull multiple bands of TBG without my holding hand shaking, allowing for faster ammo speed without having to go butterfly.

Concept for string support.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    3. Clever Moniker

I agree Ted, this is what has really attracted me to the design. One issue I suspect would be that you would need to match the length of the string to you draw length. Ideally you would want the slingshot to be completely vertical when held at your anchor point.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    4. squirrel squasher

squirrel squasher Well-Known Member

i have always wanted one for bowfishing. geuss im saving up.

5. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

Yes, the string would have to be just the right length for my draw length.

I think it's OK for the slingshot to be horizontal. Whether it's held horizontally or vertically, with a string attached there is still the pull of the elastic from one side of the hand, and the pull of the string from the other side of the hand, balancing each other out and making the hand a fulcrum, so you would still get the effect of the whole thing being like a bow. In my picture above, a 50# draw weight on the elastic would need to be balanced by a string that can withstand 50# of tension, whereas in A+ Slingshots' design, with a longer tail, the string may only need to withstand 10# or 15# of tension. Or maybe I missed something here??

6. Thistle

Thistle Guest

Maybe Mr Adkisson @A+ Slingshots will tell a little more about it.

7. A+ Slingshots

A+ Slingshots Member Vendor

Hello friends!! The A+ Lever Bow uses the mechanical advantage of the "lever" to equalize the strength of the heavy bands above and below the handle required to shoot hunting weight arrows. Without the LEVER being the length it is it would not be as functional or be as comfortable. This design came about from close to 10 years (on and off) of experimentation that I conducted. My first prototypes were actually ball ammo shooters. The lever string needs to be sturdy so I settled on paracord but it takes less weight because of the mechanical advantage of the lever. My main purpose was to create a hunting weight Slingbow that has the feel, stability and accuracy of a longbow or recurve and my design has both met and exceeded my goals I'm happy to say. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Clever Moniker

Excellent work Perry!! If I may provide the link...

A+ looks to be selling these puppies here:
      http://www.aplusslingshots.com/slingbows.html

9. DarrinGlennCook

DarrinGlennCook Veteran Member

Freak'n Awesome @A+ Slingshots.....and I dig the Guy in the video....too Cool

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    10. A+ Slingshots

Thanks everyone!! MK is a great guy Darrin!! And YES we sure are selling them!! We have quite a few happy customers already and fact is I have three we're making for customers in this weeks batch! ;)

11. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

Any idea whay the fps at 20 yards is with 31 inch carbon arrow with 125 broad head?

12. A+ Slingshots

I wouldn't know for sure about the exact specifics you gave, but those who've sent me back crony results from taking it to their local archery shops to show and test with legal hunting weight arrows have varied with the weight of the power band 40-50lbs @ 28" and various length arrows (none shorter than 28").... 140-170fps. The highest speeds were of course from the 50lbs bands.

13. Kevin

Kevin Veteran Member

I honestly have never really given sling bows more than a glance, but these things are pretty slick. The concept behind this is really solid. Good stuff there Perry. Thanks for sharing this CM.

14. A+ Slingshots

Thanks so much Kevin...glad to have peaked your interest. ;)

15. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

Yeah if your geting that kind of speed from them they can take deer and hogs easy may have to look in to them more.

16. A+ Slingshots

You betcha Ghost!! I've always told people that a good Slingbow like our Lever Bow has proven over and over to shoot with about the same speed and power of a traditional bow of similar poundage. I've been an archer since I was a young boy (probably the reason I worked hard to mix my two loves...slingshots and bows) and since I've been using my Slingbow designs I can truthfully say I've not missed shooting my recurve or stickbow. I know people are often a bit suspect of the opinions of designers and sellers, and I'm aware that they don't have the romance of a well bent bow but they have a lot of other great features going for them! The packability alone makes it outstanding for hunters and survivalist. ;)

17. Toddy

Toddy Veteran Member

I love innovation. It is so rare with slings to find anything that is genuinely new that sometimes it just takes your breath away. This is one of those occasions for me. A truly awesome achievement.
      As for using the design as a slingshot rather than a slingbow, surely the grip on the pouch would become the weakest link? I guess if you had a release aid for a normal pouch like Dankung sell (or a better one??) That said this has me thinking for sure.

18. A+ Slingshots

Thanks Toddy....you made my day!! :)

19. August West

August West Veteran Member

Not to mention there is NO WAY you can get this performance out of a stick bow anywhere near this price point.

Perry,
      Have you thought of making one to use with flats instead of the tubes? I would be interested in the difference, if any, in performance.