1632 tubing for use as band ties? | The Slingshot Community Forum

1632 tubing for use as band ties?

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by OldGuy, Jan 28, 2021.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

The PP Mini-Tarus came with what looks like 1632 tubes to tie on the bands. First slingshot used without clips or some other mechanical system to attach bands. Used some flat ribbon ties to attach the bands I cut. Probably over kill in terms of wraps. 7x, tuck the tail, 2x, and then lock. Played around with the tubes. Looks like 3-4 wraps plus 1 over the tail before locking will hold. Anyone recycling their broken 1632 tubes or using fresh tubes to tie on bands? Minimum number of wraps? Bad idea to recycle used tubes?

Would need to purchase fresh 1632 tubing. The costs relative to the ribbon (~$12/10m v. ~$2/20m) is huge. But tube looks like it can be reused a few times. Maybe fewer wraps needed.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  2. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

#64 office bands from Wally world is MUCH cheaper and readily available. Also as your bands break, save them and cut into thin strips and use those to tie bands on. Amber tape is still my favorite.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wobblywill

wobblywill Well-Known Member

I use broken 1632's sometimes usually on my OPFS frames don't wrap and tuck though just knot it .[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
  4. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

I have recycled 1632 tubes for band ties, inspired by Pocket Predator Smart Ties. And I have recycled flatbands. I like end of roll cutoffs for tying. Those are all pretty much "found" material. Office rubber is next on my list. I may never use up the freebie wrapping tape I have, LOL!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  5. richnewm

richnewm Veteran Member

I shoot tubes primarily so it makes sense to me to use the old ones as ties, its not the neatest job but im tight and it works , failing that rubber bands

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  6. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Just ordered 2 more PP TTF Mini-Tarus and will use Bill's Smart Ties until they wear out.
    3 Mini-Ts. Each with identical band tapers and pouches but 3 different weight bands. One for 9mm clay outdoors, one for 3/8 steel indoors(5m range), and one for 3/8 steel outdoors(breezy 10m range).

Selling almost all the other sling shots at the MarketPlace.