Marbles for hunting?

Discussion in 'Slingshot Hunting' started by SlingBoy, May 18, 2017.

1. SlingBoy

SlingBoy Member

So I was just wondering if marbles would be suitable to take game.
    And what are the best types of ammo for hunting i can find at normal stores.

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Plenty of kills have been posted on this forum with marbles..

Do they work yes, and btw I have killed rabbits with marbles and dozens of pigeons. My kills have been with chained rubber bands not the vaunted TBG or the thin tubes in use today.

Are they the right ammo in all instances? I'd say no as I believe each situation calls for a different type of ammo. I just happen to always carry 5/8 cat eye marbles as my go to edc for bird hunting. But if I run across a rabbit and its what's on hand I will use them to make the kill shot.

Suitable to kill small game yes marbles can get the job done but this is more of a shooter dependent ammo than anything else.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  3. SlingBoy

SlingBoy Member

Ok, thanks for your reply. I have noticed many animals have been taken with marbles, but i've heard the opposite from

i'll give them a try, with double 20-15 tbg. I need to get some rabbit foots for a trade. Worst case i hit it and it gets knocked out then i'll have to finish it.

4. Bone

Bone Veteran Member

Marbles work good. They curve sometimes so I don't really like hunting with them over 20 meters or so. I have shot things with them much further but noticed over time I get curve balls at times.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  5. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

That must be that Catapult Carnage fellow. Nice guy and he is entitled to his own opinions and that's fine. But he has grown up in a younger era so his experiences will be different from others.

Seems silly to debate over whether marbles are suitable for hunting or not, that's like asking if a motorcycle is suitable for commute or not when its a known type of transportation.

I grew up when there was no internet nor any forums or You tube for that matter. I was lucky to not have been bothered such trivial issues when I learned the art of the resortera.

As a kid I/we used rocks mostly for hunting and any 5/8 marbles or 3/4 marbles you could spare for hunting ammo were like gold. Back then I found Ball bearings on the street or was given them by friends. All worked well as did many other types of ammo i.e. fishing weights, hex nuts etc I used then and now for hunting.

Use whatever you feel best with, but why waste the life of a rabbit just to trade its feet with someone? I like eating rabbits but that's me.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jiggerjohn

jiggerjohn New Member

Yep, I began using marbles a while back, following the lead of a few great hunters,especially Nico. I've discovered the IMPACT of a "regulation size" marble is massive, compared to other smaller (perhaps faster) ammo which I'd been using. And at a buck for 50 marbles at a local dollar store, what's not to love about them?!

7. Jim S.

Jim S. Veteran Member

I use 5/8" , 80 grains, marbles in clear glass from the dollar store. They fly well and pretty fast from double 7/8"x5/8" 7 1/2 " latex bands from Tex shooter. Most game shooting I try to get as close as possible but the combo above will drop a dove dead on the ground at 15 yards.

8. SlingBoy

SlingBoy Member

I am defenitly going to eat. You shoot to eat, never waste.

9. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Good man..

By the way as I said I wont try and convince anyone that marbles work for hunting because that's a moot point.

For what its worth I have a long time friend and known slingshot hunter Jmplsnt who reliably kills squirrels with 5/8 cat eye marbles and the Thai Solid elastic which is known to be a very slow elastic. Yet the man reliably takes squirrels with head shots using this underestimated elastic.

I wrote about this on my blog and you can see some of his anecdotal kills on my blog with pictures even. http://nicos-resorterablog.blogspot.com/2016/05/slingshot-hunting-power.html

10. Fletch

Fletch Veteran Member

Marbles produce more surface trauma, steel/lead produce deeper trauma but with a smaller radius. Fun fact: 5/8 marbles and 7/16 steel behave the same weight and trajectory-wise. But, Bone is right, marbles will curve-ball on you out past 10-15 meters. Look at Bone's clay tests.....you'll see that steel penetrates better but marbles make a wider crater in the clay. I use both......

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

I am a marble guy my self but shoot every thing

12. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Well-Known Member

I lost all of my marble's :( ....

13. SonoftheRepublic

SonoftheRepublic Member

Been buying marbles for years. Got a lifetime supply at this point. If I run out of steel or lead, I've always got a backup. ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  14. SlingBoy

SlingBoy Member

I've just bought 2000 marbles for 15$. Great deal at 75 cents/100

I shot a rabbit after school today right in the head. It wasn't the best kill but it certainly did the job.

15. SlingBoy

SlingBoy Member

What is your alambre slingshot made out of?

16. brown.gabe.77

brown.gabe.77 Active Member

Look on his blog for how to make one, but it is two coats hangers covered in electrical tape

17. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Wire hangers, my own personal style/design

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3