Just a thought about our giveaways

Discussion in 'Giveaway Forum' started by Pawpawsailor, May 6, 2017.

By Pawpawsailor on May 6, 2017 at 8:01 AM
  1. Pawpawsailor

Pawpawsailor Well-Known Member

I was watching a video related to a giveaway unrelated to slingshots and a thought occurred to me as the requirements for entry were referenced. In the past I caught a bit of flack from a disgruntled entrant in a giveaway that I had sponsored. His complaint regarded the matter of not excluding newbies. While I heartily approve of giveaways that reward active forum members, there is another legitimate way of thinking about it. By not specifying rules that exclude newbies, we have the opportunity to draw in new members that hear about the giveaway from their friends who are already members. Yes, I know there are unscrupulous individuals that troll the forums looking for free stuff, and who will not offer any real value in joining. But, there are also shy people who just need a little nudge to get involved. I believe opening SOME giveaways to the general public can be a useful tool for increasing membership. OK, I just wanted to state my position on the matter. I am not opening a debate, and you certainly have the right to your own opinion on the matter. Just sayin'

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Giveaway Forum' started by Pawpawsailor, May 6, 2017.

1. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter to me how new a person is. The only thing I like to see is some posting. There's guys been a mimber for the last 4 year and only posted 5 times that's not contributing to are community .

But in all if a person is giving something away it's up to them how thay wanna do it.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    2. Pawpawsailor

I'm not a chatty person, so I don't get into a lot of the discussions. Especially if others have already chimed in with good comments. I don't see the sense in excessive redundancy. If someone has a question specifically directed to me, I am glad to oblige...

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker Veteran Member

I think this is a good way of doing it as well. I think in my heart I'd be pleased to allow anyone to enter... I tend to just get frustrated with people who just want free stuff... so I become a little hardened to them if that makes sense.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    4. Pawpawsailor

It does make sense... I just hate to see the honest folks lose an opportunity because of one or two exploiters.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    5. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

I agree PawPaw, perhaps the customs for the existing members and plastics for everyone.. that should appease both newbies and vets, most of us have a few commercial frames already,.. jerks happen though, one guy actually started his first thread wondering why he can't win free stuff here... he didn't even respond to his own topic. I notice the new guys outweigh the long-time members by a large margin whenever a giveaway pops up... we should post a few fake giveaways to see what happens, as most of them don't even care to read to rules... Poor JT can barely keep up..

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker Veteran Member

Haha. @JTslinger is a ninja on calling them out. :) Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Maybe we just need more newbie giveaways. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. honorary pie

hehe, If JT was new, he'd rack up his 100 quick by just passin' the word...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

I have given away several slingshots, and me personally I would rather my efforts go to someone who contributes to the forum not some first time lucky newbie.

I remember being one of the sub 100 posters who tried to enter a give away, I think it was a just a forum badge, and after being politely reminded of the rules it encouraged me to join in, reach the magic 100 and onto nearly 3000 posts.

I think it is down to the individual hosting the give away to set the rules and everyone should respect them, if anyone has an issue with the rules I set then I don't care and if they want to talk to me about it, I still won't care.

I am not going to do group give aways anymore and I'm just going to follow the example bugs brew has set and just give them away in a random act of kindness. So if you have taken the time to read this I will sign off by saying I'm doing one very soon.

Peace out. X

Last edited: May 6, 2017
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
    9. Lunasling

Lunasling Veteran Member

You are a true gentleman Mr Muz .

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Well-Known Member

I guess to be honest if I made shooters as pretty as pawpaw and some of you others on here ... I'd probably keep them all he he he! ;-)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    11. honorary pie

however Muz, you did do a random Giveaway that went to Mr Searcher, he was a fair Noob at the time,and his appreciation couldn't be understated. he's a regular player now and even posts some entertaining vids... if it wasn't for you, he might still be barebackin' pouchless at his office chair...

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

Yeah man I did, I think he was over 100 though or dam close, but if he had only 1 post then I wouldn't have sent it. The only rule I made for that was to do a video, and we can't stop the guy, just wish I sent the crazy mo fo some pouches and a catch box.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. JTslinger

JTslinger Veteran Member

I'd be okay running some giveaways for newer members. I also hate dishonesty and seeing people join just to get free stuff. Kind of pisses me of to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

You don't really make sense there flower? You would do a give away for newbies but you don't like people joining for free stuff?

15. Pawpawsailor

Everyone would like free stuff. Old or new member alike. From there it becomes a matter of perceived merit (i.e. Who is more deserving). At that point it becomes an earned income rather than a free gift. I can see a benefit in both rather than either/or.

16. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

That's why I'm following the example bugsbrew has set. I will happily give away my work to people I consider friends on this forum.

17. Pawpawsailor

Any good deed done is an improvement for the world. It is exceptional when we can step beyond just our friends and extend a kindness to even those we don't know.

18. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

I've done that as well. Technically I don't know anyone on here the majority of you live thousands of miles away and will never meet them but I made it my place to get involved not just join for the chance of a freebie.

19. Pawpawsailor

As I said, everyone has the right to their own opinion on the matter. I hope to see the forum gain a little momentum. That was the point of the post.